Iona holds off Hampton 68-63Nov 18, 2009 - 4:25 AM HAMPTON, Va.(AP) -- Alejo Rodriguez scored 17 points and Jonathan Huffman added 14, leading Iona to a 68-63 win over Hampton on Tuesday night.
Huffman shot 3-for-4 from beyond the arc and 3-for-3 from the foul line for the Gaels (2-0), who won their first two games of the season for the first time in five years.
Hampton (0-2) led 25-23 with just over 6 minutes left in the first half, but the Gaels went on a 14-4 run from that point to take a 41-35 halftime advantage. Jermel Jenkins scored five of his nine points during the spree.
The Pirates pulled within 61-60 on a 3-pointer by Jordan Brooks with 5:33 to play, but Huffman answered with a 3 of his own to push the Iona advantage back to four points.
The Gaels cruised from there.
Charles Funches scored 12 points and grabbed 10 boards to lead Hampton, which is winless in four games in the all-time series against Iona.
- Morris and Iowa State race past Iona 94-81 Mar 17
- UVa routs Hampton 81-45 after Bennett collapses, returns Mar 17
- Iona spoiled Monmouth bench mob party Mar 16
- No. 1 seed Virginia keeps focus on Hampton - not Spartans Mar 16
- Iona's suspends Washington 2 games for slap Jan 17
- Sophomore Much receives NCAA waiver, can play right away Nov 15
- Iona gives hoops coach Cluess extension Mar 26
- Kentucky starts slow, still pummels Hampton Mar 20
- No. 1 Kentucky opens with matchup against Hampton Mar 19
- Hampton tops Manhattan, advances to play Kentucky Mar 18
- Hampton and Manhattan open NCAA Tournament Mar 17
- Hampton tops Delaware State for MEAC title Mar 14