VMI defeats West Va. Wesleyan 111-92Nov 19, 2009 - 3:13 AM LEXINGTON, Va.(AP) -- Nick Gore scored 20 points and Andrew Sparks added 19 as Virginia Military Institute defeated West Virginia Wesleyan 111-92 on Wednesday night.
The Keydets (2-1), coming off a 103-59 loss to Richmond, shot only 34.5 percent for the game (40-for-116) and 25.4 percent from 3-point range (16-for-63), a school record for 3-point attempts.
The Bobcats (0-2), a Division II team, shot 43.4 percent (33-for-76) and were 2-for-10 from beyond the arc.
VMI, which defeated West Virginia Wesleyan 135-81 on Nov. 14, 2007, is now 16-0 against non-Division I teams under coach Duggar Baucom.
The Keydets never trailed and led 107-77 with 5:16 left.
Justin Caldwell led the Bobcats with 25 points. Keshawn Creighton added 20 and 15 rebounds and Ryan Hoehner had 10 points and 18 rebounds.
West Virginia Wesleyan outrebounded VMI 72-64, but committed 27 turnovers.
- Samford tops VMI in OT, 92-85, advances in SoCon tourney Mar 4
- VMI introduces Earl as new men's hoops coach Apr 13
- Citadel hires VMI coach Baucom Mar 30
- No. 21 West Virginia routs VMI Nov 27
- Mountaineers continue run against Keydets Nov 26
- Asheville downs VMI for 2nd straight Big South title Mar 3
- Keydets and Bulldogs meet in Big South title tilt Mar 3
- Pittsburgh dominates VMI Dec 6
- Panthers and Keydets square off in Pittsburgh Dec 6
- Buford, No. 3 Ohio State handle VMI Nov 23
- Keydets seek upset in bout with third-ranked Buckeyes Nov 23
- Coastal Carolina moves onto semis; beats VMI 82-73 Mar 2