CBC 56, MVSU 102Nov 20, 2009 - 4:41 AM ITTA BENA, Miss. (AP) -- Tashan Newsome scored 11 points and had seven steals in Mississippi Valley State's 102-56 win over Champion Baptist on Thursday night.
The Delta Devils (1-2) had six players in double figures as Julius Cheeks and D'Angelo Jackson scored 13 points each, Cor-J Cox chipped in 11 and Jason Holmes and Shannon Behling added 10 each.
MVSU jumped out to an 11-3 lead on a layup by Cheeks with 16:42 left in the first half, and led 60-32 at halftime.
The Delta Devils shot 59.5 percent in the first half, despite shooting 26.7 percent from 3-point range (4 of 15).
The Delta Devils led by as many as 95-45 on a layup by Jackson with 4:35 remaining.
MSVU scored 66 points in the paint, and turned 25 turnovers into 33 points.
James Manthis led the Champion Baptist with 23 points and eight turnovers. B.J. Likins grabbed 11 rebounds for the Tigers, who were outrebounded 53-38.
- Robert Morris hangs on for 67-64 win over MVSU Nov 28
- No. 9 Iowa State crushes Mississippi Valley Dec 31
- Cyclones go in search of two milestone wins Dec 31
- Payne named Mississippi Valley men's basketball coach Jul 11
- Oklahoma State routs MVSU Nov 9
- Cowboys set sights on Delta Devils in season opener Nov 8
- No. 24 Cincy crushes MVSU Nov 14
- Delta Devils set to challenge 24th-ranked Bearcats Nov 13
- WKU rallies from 16 down to beat MVSU Mar 13
- Hilltoppers and Delta Devils open up NCAA Tournament action Mar 13
- Mississippi Valley State wins SWAC title Mar 11
- SWAC title on the line, as Tigers take on Delta Devils Mar 10