Tubbs lifts ETSU over College of Charleston 77-71Nov 26, 2009 - 2:37 AM JOHNSON CITY, Tenn.(AP) -- Justin Tubbs scored a career-best 29 points as East Tennessee State survived a late rally by the College of Charleston to win 77-71 on Wednesday night.
Tubbs had 18 of the first 27 points for the Buccaneers (2-3), who took a 27-16 lead with 6:38 left in the first half and led 40-30 at halftime.
ETSU stayed in front by five points or more until a layup and free throw by Andrew Goudelock with 3:18 remaining brought the Cougars (1-2) within three, 68-65. Goudelock's 23 points led College of Charleston.
After the Buccaneers rebuilt their lead to six points, 74-68, with 1:15 left, a 3-pointer by Casaan Breeden, who finished with 15 points, cut it to 74-71 with 1:02 remaining.
After a Charleston timeout, Breeden made a steal but Goudelock missed a 3-pointer. ETSU secured the game as Tommy Hubbard made 1 of 2 free throws and Sheldon Cooley made a pair.
- NCAA BB
COLL OF CHARLTN 71
EAST TENN ST 77 FINAL
Nov 25 8:52 PM
- NCAA BB
COLL OF CHARLTN 30
EAST TENN ST 40 HALFTIME
Nov 25 7:56 PM
- East Tennessee State tabs Forbes as new men's basketball coach Mar 31
- West Virginia routs College of Charleston Nov 30
- Cougars hit road to challenge 21st-ranked Mountaineers Nov 29
- No. 17 UConn fends off Charleston Nov 20
- Huskies take on Cougars in Puerto Rico Tip-Off Nov 20
- College of Charleston fires Wojcik Aug 5
- Louisville takes care of business in season opener Nov 9
- Defending champion Cardinals open campaign against Cougars Nov 9
- Brooks leads Davidson to another SoCon title Mar 12
- Cat fight in SoCon title game has Charleston battling Davidson Mar 11
- No. 4 Arizona blasts East Tennessee State Dec 23
- Bucs seek upset of fourth-ranked Wildcats Dec 22