Mutombo lifts Western Carolina over Duquesne 83-77Nov 26, 2009 - 4:00 AM CULLOWHEE, N.C.(AP) -- Jake Robinson scored 25 points and Harouna Mutombo broke a late tie with consecutive baskets as Western Carolina defeated Duquesne 83-77 on Wednesday night.
Mutombo hit a jumper with 1:02 remaining to put the Catamounts (4-1) in front 79-77. The 6-foot-4 guard missed his free throw but was credited with a steal when he and Eric Evans of the Dukes (4-1) collided near midcourt. Mutombo, the nephew of former NBA star Dikembe Mutombo, made a layup with 54 seconds left for an 81-77 lead.
Western Carolina hit a school-record 17 3-pointers, seven by Robinson, to win its third game in three days in the O'Reilly Auto Parts CBE Classic subregion it hosted.
The Catamounts led 73-59 before the Dukes went on a 17-3 run and tied it on Damian Saunders' alley-oop dunk with 2:45 left.
Bill Clark had 25 points for Duquesne and Saunders had 15 rebounds along with 11 points.
- NCAA BB
WESTRN CAROLINA 83 FINAL
Nov 25 9:34 PM
- NCAA BB
WESTRN CAROLINA 40 HALFTIME
Nov 25 8:16 PM
- Duquesne overcomes poor shooting to beat Robert Morris 72-65 Dec 19
- Ferry gets extension at Duquesne Jun 30
- VCU holds on to down Duquesne Jan 18
- Dukes seek upset of 17th-ranked Rams Jan 17
- Western Carolina extends Hunter's contract Jun 6
- Wofford holds off Western Carolina for SoCon crown Mar 11
- Catamounts and Terriers meet for SoCon crown Mar 10
- Duquesne stuns Saint Louis Feb 28
- Billikens look forward to big night against visiting Dukes Feb 27
- St. Louis sneaks past Duquesne Jan 22
- Dukes seek upset of 19th-ranked Billikens Jan 22
- Young leads Oregon past Western Carolina Nov 14