Tulane defeats George Mason 76-71Nov 28, 2009 - 10:16 PM NEW ORLEANS(AP) -- Kevin Sims scored 22 points and Tulane defeated George Mason 76-71 on Saturday.
The Green Wave (2-3) trailed 40-34 with 18:17 left in the game before going on a 10-2 run. Asim McQueen gave Tulane a 44-42 lead on a jump shot with 15:32 left to play.
The Patriots (3-3) tied the game at 64-64, but the Green Wave pulled away in the final 2:26.
Tulane led 74-71 with 15.4 seconds remaining and George Mason's Cam Long missed a 3-pointer. Sims then hit two free throws with 7 seconds left to seal the win.
McQueen had 16 points and four steals and Aaron Holmes added 10 for the Green Wave, who scored 20 points off of 20 Patriots' turnovers.
The Green Wave held George Mason to 36.7 percent shooting in the second half (11 of 30), after allowing 55.6 percent (15 of 27) in the first.
Long scored a career-high 24 points for the Patriots and Luke Hancock added 14.
- NCAA BB
GEORGE MASON 71
TULANE 76 FINAL
Nov 28 4:01 PM
- NCAA BB
HALFTIME 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
GEORGE MASON 36 36
TULANE 33 33 HALFTIME
HIGH SCORERS AT HALFTIME
GEORGE MASON - CAM LONG 10, LUKE HANCOCK 7, THREE
PLAYERS WITH 5
TULANE - KEVIN SIMS 10, ASIM MCQUEEN 8,
AARON HOLMES 4
Nov 28 2:50 PM
- Tulane's Dunleavy explains decision to try college now Mar 29
- Ex-NBA coach Dunleavy Sr. takes first college job at Tulane Mar 28
- Tulane AD: Ed Conroy out as Tulane men's basketball coach Mar 14
- George Mason senior Patrick Holloway suspended for 6 games Nov 10
- George Mason hires Bucknell's Paulsen as coach Mar 30
- George Mason dismisses Paul Hewitt Mar 16
- Short-handed VCU handles George Mason Feb 5
- George Mason entertains No. 18 Virginia Commonwealth Feb 4
- Oklahoma downs George Mason Dec 31
- 18th-ranked Sooners play host to Patriots Dec 31
- St. John's buries Tulane to continue roll Dec 28
- Tulane challenges No. 17 St. John's Dec 28