Reed's FT lifts Bethune-Cookman past FAMU 58-57Dec 6, 2009 - 12:10 AM DAYTONA BEACH, Fla.(AP) -- C.J. Reed sank a free throw with 4 seconds left to lift Bethune-Cookman to a 58-57 win over winless Florida A&M in the teams' Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference opener on Saturday.
The Wildcats (5-3) won their fourth straight game.
Reed went to the foul line with a two-shot technical that Bethune-Cookman was awarded with the game tied at 57-57 after the Rattlers (0-10) called a timeout they didn't have. Reed, who finished with 15 points, missed the first but made the second.
Alexander Starling led the Wildcats with 17 points. Yannick Crowder paced Florida A&M with 13, and Brandon Bryant added 10, including two free throws that tied the game at 57-57 with 22 seconds remaining.
Bethune-Cookman, which led by 26-21 at halftime, never trailed in the second half. But the Rattlers rallied to tie the game at 55-55 on Bryant's 3-pointer with 2:15 left to go.
- NCAA BB
FLORIDA A&M 57
BETHUNE COOKMAN 58 FINAL
Dec 5 6:31 PM
- NCAA BB
FLORIDA A&M 21
BETHUNE COOKMAN 26 HALFTIME
Dec 5 5:29 PM
- Florida A&M holds off Thomas (Ga.) 70-68 behind Bernard Nov 19
- Bethune-Cookman beats Trinity Baptist 108-54 in opener Nov 13
- Norfolk State earns 1st NCAA tourney bid by besting Bethune-Cookman Mar 10
- MEAC title up for grabs in Winston-Salem Mar 10
- No. 6 Baylor stays perfect with win over Bethune-Cookman Dec 15
- No.6 Bears welcome Wildcats to Waco Dec 14
- Baylor makes quick work of Bethune-Cookman Dec 16
- Delaware State slips past Bethune-Cookman 57-55 Mar 11
- Bethune-Cookman defeats Florida A&M 64-53 in MEAC Mar 9
- Florida A&M rallies to beat Bethune-Cookman 69-64 Mar 5
- South Carolina St. beats Florida A&M 91-65 Mar 1
- Bethune-Cookman tops Winston-Salem 66-45 Mar 1