George Mason 57, N.C.-Wilmington 52Dec 6, 2009 - 1:08 AM WILMINGTON, N.C. (AP) -- Ryan Pearson scored 14 points to lead George Mason to a 57-52 win over North Carolina-Wilmington in the Colonial Athletic Association season opener for both teams on Saturday.
Pearson shot 6-for-10 and grabbed eight rebounds for the Patriots (4-4). Cam Long added 12 points and five rebounds, while Andre Cornelius chipped in with 11 points.
George Mason led 28-13 at halftime, and a 3-pointer from Cornelius with 15:26 remaining gave the Patriots their largest lead of the game at 37-17.
But the Seahawks (3-5) fought back, and a layup from Chad Tomko capped a 22-4 run and cut George Mason's lead to 41-39 with 8:37 remaining. UNC-Wilmington was unable to get any closer, though, and was held scoreless for a 3-minute period late in the half.
John Fields led the Seahawks with 21 points, 13 rebounds and five blocks.
- It's David vs. Goliath when UNC Wilmington meets Duke Mar 17
- George Mason senior Patrick Holloway suspended for 6 games Nov 10
- George Mason hires Bucknell's Paulsen as coach Mar 30
- George Mason dismisses Paul Hewitt Mar 16
- Short-handed VCU handles George Mason Feb 5
- George Mason entertains No. 18 Virginia Commonwealth Feb 4
- Oklahoma downs George Mason Dec 31
- 18th-ranked Sooners play host to Patriots Dec 31
- Louisville holds off UNCW Dec 14
- Fourth-ranked Cardinals set sights on Seahawks Dec 14
- UNC-Wilmington hires Louisville assistant Keatts Mar 27
- Peterson out as UNCW head coach Mar 11