VMI defeats Charleston Southern 103-91Dec 5, 2009 - 10:00 PM LEXINGTON, Va.(AP) -- Keith Gabriel scored 28 points and Virginia Military Institute beat Charleston Southern 103-91 on Saturday.
Gabriel made 10 of 15 field goals, including 6 of 10 from 3-point range. The Keydets (4-3, 1-1 Southern Conference) shot 55.4 percent (36-for-65) from the field and made 51.6 percent (16-for-31) of their 3-point attempts.
Michael Sparks added 21 points on 5 of 7 shooting from 3-point range for the Keydets. Austin Kenon added 18 points and Hunter Houston had 13.
Jeremy Sexton led the Buccaneers (4-4, 0-2) with 22 points and made 6 of 10 3-point shots. Kelvin Martin added 21 points, and Jamarco Warren and Kenny Mitchell each had 16 for the Buccaneers.
Leading 50-42 at halftime, the Keydets stretched the lead to 19 points at 63-44 after Ron Burks - who finished with six points and 10 rebounds - hit a free throw to cap a 13-2 run to start the second half.
- Samford tops VMI in OT, 92-85, advances in SoCon tourney Mar 4
- VMI introduces Earl as new men's hoops coach Apr 13
- Citadel hires VMI coach Baucom Mar 30
- Colorado State cruises past Charleston Southern Dec 23
- No. 21 West Virginia routs VMI Nov 27
- Mountaineers continue run against Keydets Nov 26
- Baylor holds off Charleston Southern Nov 21
- Plenty of points expected in bout between Bucs and Bears Nov 20
- Bairstow leads Lobos over Buccaneers Nov 17
- Bucs and Lobos mix it up at The Pit Nov 17
- Liberty wins Big South, going dancing with 20 losses Mar 10
- Buccaneers and Flames battle for Big South crown Mar 10