Oakland wins 84-76 over IPFWDec 6, 2009 - 2:22 AM FORT WAYNE, Ind.(AP) -- Johnathon Jones' 21-point performance helped Oakland open Summit League play with an 84-76 victory over IPFW Saturday night.
Jones was 7 of 17 from the field, with four assists and three steals. The Golden Grizzles (4-4, 1-0) got a 20-point performance from Keith Benson. Benson went for his fourth double-double this season as he grabbed 11 rebounds. He also had four blocks. Larry Wright had 17 points.
The Mastodons (2-4, 0-1) were led by Ben Botts with 19 points. Botts was 5 for 9 from behind the arc. Deilvez Yearby recorded six blocked shots, 14 points, eight rebounds and four assists.
The Mastodons trailed 40-29 at the half, but cut the lead down to four with 1:54 left. Clutch free throw shooting helped Oakland seal the victory (23 of 25, 92.0 percent).
- Oakland University agrees to 3-year, $864K deal with Kampe Apr 11
- Oakland U's Kay Felder hires agent, will stay in draft Apr 8
- Oakland's Felder declares for draft, has not hired agent Apr 5
- North Dakota State edges IPFW in Summit tourney, 69-68 Mar 7
- IPFW beats South Dakota 86-70 in Summit League quarterfinal Mar 5
- Oakland beats Robert Morris 92-74 behind Hooper Dec 5
- Wells helps No. 15 Maryland beat Oakland Dec 27
- Terps close out non-conference slate against Grizzlies Dec 27
- No. 3 Arizona routs Oakland Dec 17
- Oakland hits road seeking upset of No. 3 Arizona Dec 16
- Niang guides Iowa State over Oakland Nov 15
- Oakland pays visit to No. 14 Iowa State Nov 14