California Baptist upsets Pepperdine 67-65Dec 11, 2009 - 5:27 AM MALIBU, Calif.(AP) -- Davey Hopkins scored a layup with 8.2 seconds left to help lift California Baptist to a surprising 67-65 victory at Pepperdine on Thursday night.
After Keion Bell's basket gave Pepperdine a 65-64 lead with 20 seconds remaining, CBU's Larry Dew threw a lob pass to Hopkins, who laid the ball in. The Waves turned the ball over on the next possession, and the Lancers' Cesar Menjivar hit one of two free throws with 2.3 seconds left.
Mychel Thompson scored a season-high 22 points for Pepperdine, while Bell posted 21. Dew had 20 points for CBU and Justus Von Wright added 17.
CBU, an NAIA team, scored the first 12 points of the game. Pepperdine (3-7) didn't take its first lead until Lorne Jackson hit a short jumper with 19:05 left in the game, giving the Waves a 30-28 lead. The Lancers rallied from a seven-point deficit in the final 2 1/2 minutes.
- Pepperdine extends Wilson Jun 5
- Gonzaga beats Pepperdine to reach WCC final Mar 10
- Bulldogs battle Waves in WCC semifinals Mar 9
- Gonzaga slips past Pepperdine in 2nd half Feb 14
- Waves hope to come crashing down on third-ranked Bulldogs Feb 14
- No. 3 Gonzaga edges Pepperdine Jan 16
- Waves hope to wash away third-ranked Bulldogs Jan 15
- Pangos helps No. 6 Gonzaga pound Pepperdine Feb 8
- Waves hope to crash down on sixth-ranked Zags Feb 7
- Gonzaga rolls past Pepperdine Jan 3
- No. 10 Bulldogs open league play against Waves Jan 3
- Pangos, Sacre lift No. 24 Gonzaga over Pepperdine Feb 5