Samford defeats Spring Hill 58-48Dec 12, 2009 - 11:20 PM BIRMINGHAM, Ala.(AP) -- Trey Montgomery and Jeffrey Merritt scored 12 points apiece and Samford cruised to a 58-48 win over Spring Hill on Saturday.
The Bulldogs (3-6) rebounded from a 73-40 loss at home to UNC-Greensboro on Dec. 5 by pulling ahead of the Badgers 27-11 with 2:50 left in the first half.
Tyler Schwab's 3-pointer at the buzzer got Spring Hill, an NAIA school, within 31-20 at halftime.
Chris Dees Jr. hit a jumper to open the second half, cutting the deficit to nine, but Montgomery responded with a 3-pointer. Samford led by double digits until 46 seconds remained.
Bryan Friday and Josh Davis added 11 points each for the Bulldogs. Davis, who had been hitting 40 percent from 3-point range, was only 1-for-10 from beyond the arc. Samford shot 5-for-24 from long range.
Dees and Antonio Burch scored 12 points each for the Badgers, who were outrebounded 41-34.
- Samford coach Padgett signs 4-year extension Mar 6
- Samford tabs Padgett new head coach Jun 6
- Thomas, Memphis fend off Samford Nov 18
- Samford takes on No. 17 Memphis Nov 17
- No. 2 Louisville feasts on Samford Nov 15
- No. 2 Cardinals set sights on Bulldogs Nov 15
- No. 3 Kentucky handles Samford Dec 20
- Kentucky puts win streak on the line against Samford Dec 20
- The Citadel tops Samford 55-43 in SoCon tournament Mar 5
- Appalachian State defeats Samford 82-68 Feb 27
- Western Carolina defeats Samford 61-44 Feb 25
- Georgia Southern defeats Samford 83-77 Feb 22