Eastern Illinois edges Western Illinois 44-41Dec 13, 2009 - 3:38 AM MACOMB, Ill.(AP) -- Jeremy Granger scored six of Eastern Illinois' final eight points as the Panthers held off Western Illinois 44-41 Saturday night.
On an abysmal shooting night for both teams - 29.2 percent by Eastern, 27.3 by Western - Tyler Laser scored 15 and Granger 10 to lead the Panthers (5-4).
David Nurse scored 14, including four 3-pointers, for the Leathernecks (4-6). David Gebru added 11. No one else for either team scored more than six.
In the first half alone, Eastern endured scoreless streaks of 4:30 and 6:15, while Western had two scoreless stretches of 6:30 and another of 5:05. Eastern led 18-14 at halftime.
Western tied it 36-36 with 6 minutes left, but Granger hit two baskets and two free throws that, along with two free throws by Laser, put Eastern ahead 44-41. Western's Jelani Johnson got off a final shot at the buzzer, but it missed.
- Groselle, Creighton down Eastern Illinois Nov 26
- Panthers visit Bluejays in Emerald Coast Classic Nov 25
- Eastern Illinois names Jay Spoonhour head coach Apr 6
- Callahan lifts South Dakota State over Western Illinois in OT Mar 7
- Leathernecks and Jackrabbits seek Summit League championship Mar 6
- Eastern Illinois not renewing HC Mike Miller's contract Feb 27
- Murray State stays perfect with win over Eastern Illinois Jan 29
- Panthers come to Murray seeking upset of 11th-ranked Racers Jan 28
- Wilson helps Murray State stay unbeaten Dec 30
- Eastern Illinois entertains No. 20 Murray State Dec 30
- Michigan holds off Western Illinois Nov 18
- Leathernecks seek upset of 17th-ranked Wolverines Nov 17