Jacksonville defeats Bethune-Cookman 56-48Dec 17, 2009 - 2:44 AM DAYTONA BEACH, Fla.(AP) -- Ben Smith and Travis Cohn each scored 11 points to carry Jacksonville past Bethune-Cookman 56-48 on Wednesday night.
The win was the first of the season for the Dolphins after five losses, snapping a seven-game losing streak dating to last season.
C.J. Reed scored 14 points and Albert Abrahams added 13 points for Bethune-Cookman (6-5), which had won five of its past six games.
Jacksonville started with a 10-0 lead and managed a 21-16 edge at halftime.
The Dolphins pushed the lead to 38-23 with 11:08 to play. But Reed, who scored all 14 of his points in the final 10:49, led the Wildcats on a 15-1 run to close the gap to 39-38 with 6:30 left.
Cohn's seven points in the final 4:46 enabled Jacksonville to pull away.
Ayron Hardy led Jacksonville with 10 rebounds. The Dolphins also hit 63.2 percent of their shots (12-for-19) in the second half.
- NCAA BB
BETHUNE COOKMAN 48 FINAL
Dec 16 9:00 PM
- NCAA BB
BETHUNE COOKMAN 16 HALFTIME
Dec 16 7:47 PM
- Morehead State beats Jacksonville State 82-71 Feb 27
- Former Jacksonville basketball standout Morgan dies at 67 Jan 15
- Jacksonville takes down Thomas (Ga) 92-64 Nov 23
- Bethune-Cookman beats Trinity Baptist 108-54 in opener Nov 13
- Jacksonville turns to Jasick Apr 9
- No. 15 Florida cruises past Jacksonville Nov 25
- Sunshine State melee pits Gators against Dolphins Nov 25
- Indiana dominates Jacksonville Dec 29
- Jacksonville faces tall task in clash with No. 5 Indiana Dec 28
- Norfolk State earns 1st NCAA tourney bid by besting Bethune-Cookman Mar 10
- MEAC title up for grabs in Winston-Salem Mar 10
- No. 6 Baylor stays perfect with win over Bethune-Cookman Dec 15