Qvale leads Montana to 57-43 win in his returnDec 17, 2009 - 4:19 AM MISSOULA, Mont.(AP) -- Brian Qvale scored 23 points and grabbed nine rebounds to lead Montana to a 57-43 victory over NAIA Montana State-Northern on Wednesday night.
Qvale, who missed the last two games to be with his ill father in North Dakota, shot 9 for 11 from the field in his return and anchored the Grizzlies down low.
Montana (7-4) finished with a 38-25 rebounding edge.
Justin Dennis scored 13 points to lead Montana State-Northern.
The Grizzlies were 23 of 43 from the field and limited Montana State-Northern to 32-percent shooting.
Jack McGillis was the only other Montana player to score in double figures, finishing with 10.
The Grizzlies held a 31-18 advantage at the break. Their lead swelled to as many as 17 early in the second, before the Lights closed to within 39-31 with 11:37 remaining. Montana responded with a 14-4 run to put the game out of reach.
- Harvey, Eastern Washington rally past Montana for Big Sky crown Mar 14
- Grizzlies, Eagles engage in Big Sky title bout Mar 14
- Montana tabs DeCuire to replace Tinkle May 31
- Montana dismisses Coleman Jun 7
- Syracuse advances in rout of Montana Mar 22
- Orange set sights on Grizzlies in East Regional tilt Mar 20
- Montana repeats as Big Sky champions Mar 17
- Weber State takes on Montana in Big Sky title game Mar 16
- Montana gives Tinkle, Selvig extensions May 25
- Balanced attack leads Wisconsin in rout of Montana Mar 15
- Badgers clash with Grizzlies in Big Dance Mar 15
- Montana tops Weber State, wins Big Sky tourney Mar 8