Denver defeats Florida International 59-53Dec 18, 2009 - 4:06 AM DENVER(AP) -- Andrew Hooper scored 13 points and Brian Stafford 11 as the Denver Pioneers beat Florida International 59-53.
Antoine Watson had a game-high 20 points and Marlon Bright scored 11 for the Golden Panthers (3-10, 0-1).
The Pioneers closed the first half on an 8-0 run, sparked by 3-pointers from Stafford and Kyle Lewis, to take a 24-18 lead at the break.
Denver (7-3, 1-0) extended the lead to 12 when Stafford and Chase Hallam hit 3-pointers to open the second half.
The Pioneers led by as many as 13 with 12:21 left, but the Golden Panthers didn't go away. A 9-0 run cut the lead to 40-36 midway through the second half. After Denver increased its lead to seven, three straight baskets by Florida International made it 45-44 with 4:42 left.
Two 3-pointers by the Pioneers, the second by Hallam with 49.6 seconds left, gave Denver a 53-46 lead.
- NCAA BB
DENVER 59 FINAL
Dec 17 10:55 PM
- NCAA BB
DENVER 24 HALFTIME
Dec 17 9:54 PM
- University of Denver hires Rodney Billups as coach Mar 14
- Denver fires coach Joe Scott after 9 seasons Mar 11
- South Dakota State edges Denver in Summit tourney 54-53 Mar 8
- Rosga, Denver beat Omaha, advance to Summit League semis Mar 7
- Northern Iowa tops Denver on 30 shots Dec 10
- Panthers hit road to take on Pioneers Dec 10
- No. 5 Louisville powers past FIU Dec 5
- Panthers seek upset of fifth-ranked Cardinals Dec 5
- Smith powers Louisville to blowout of FIU Dec 22
- Cardinals fly south to take on Panthers Dec 21
- FIU tabs Evans as head coach Apr 16
- Western Kentucky wins back-to-back Sun Belt titles Mar 12