Merthie hits 3s, Campbell beats Jacksonville 73-57Dec 19, 2009 - 11:18 PM BUIES CREEK, N.C.(AP) -- Lorne Merthie tied his season high with 17 points - hitting four 3-pointers in the first 13 minutes - and Campbell defeated Jacksonville 73-57 on Saturday in the Dolphins' Atlantic Sun Conference opener.
The Camels (6-3, 2-0) jumped out to a 9-0 lead, then Jacksonville used a 9-1 run to pull within a point. Campbell forced 13 of the Dolphins' 24 turnovers in the first half to take a 35-23 lead into halftime.
The Dolphins (1-6, 0-1) closed to 36-26 with 17:03 left, but could get no closer.
Jonathan Rodriguez added 14 points and William Kossangue had 13 for Campbell, which ended a two-game skid.
Campbell shot 44.4 percent from the field (20-for-45) and 4-for-11 from 3-point range, with Merthie going 4-for-7 from long range.
Ben Smith scored 16 points to lead the Dolphins, who beat Bethune-Cookman on Wednesday and have played six of their seven games on the road.
- Morehead State beats Jacksonville State 82-71 Feb 27
- Former Jacksonville basketball standout Morgan dies at 67 Jan 15
- Jacksonville takes down Thomas (Ga) 92-64 Nov 23
- Russell powers Ohio State over Campbell Nov 27
- Camels hope to get over hump in clash with Buckeyes Nov 26
- Jacksonville turns to Jasick Apr 9
- No. 15 Florida cruises past Jacksonville Nov 25
- Sunshine State melee pits Gators against Dolphins Nov 25
- Campbell tabs McGeehan as head coach Apr 11
- Gardner-Webb moves on with rout of Campbell Mar 7
- Indiana dominates Jacksonville Dec 29
- Jacksonville faces tall task in clash with No. 5 Indiana Dec 28