Montana defeats UC Riverside, 67-52Dec 20, 2009 - 4:24 AM MISSOULA, Mont.(AP) -- Anthony Johnson scored 23 points and Montana had the hot hand early en route to a 67-52 victory over UC Riverside Saturday.
Montana (8-4) sizzled in the opening 20 minutes, sinking 14-of-24 shots from the field and draining 9-of-16 from 3-point range to hold a 40-22 advantage at the break.
Johnson picked up where the Grizzlies left off in the second half, scoring seven straight points in less than two minutes to give Montana its biggest lead at 54-26 with just under 13 minutes remaining.
The Highlanders (6-4) managed to shave the 28-point deficit to 13 by the three-minute mark before Michael Taylor iced the win with a 3-pointer from the corner with under 1:30 to play.
The Grizzlies finished 12-for-25 from 3-point range. Ryan Staudacher added 13 points for Montana. Kyle Austin scored 14 points to lead UC Riverside.
- Harvey, Eastern Washington rally past Montana for Big Sky crown Mar 14
- Grizzlies, Eagles engage in Big Sky title bout Mar 14
- Highlanders and Aztecs mix it up in non-conference action Dec 22
- No. 25 Utah hammers UC Riverside Nov 21
- Utes seek turnaround against visiting Highlanders Nov 21
- Montana tabs DeCuire to replace Tinkle May 31
- Montana dismisses Coleman Jun 7
- Syracuse advances in rout of Montana Mar 22
- Orange set sights on Grizzlies in East Regional tilt Mar 20
- Montana repeats as Big Sky champions Mar 17
- Weber State takes on Montana in Big Sky title game Mar 16
- Montana gives Tinkle, Selvig extensions May 25