Rhode Island holds off Fairfield 89-84Dec 20, 2009 - 8:39 PM KINGSTON, R.I.(AP) -- Delroy James scored 21 points and had 11 rebounds to lead Rhode Island to an 89-84 victory over Fairfield on Sunday.
Lamonte Ulmer added 20 points and eight rebounds for the Rams (9-1), who have won five consecutive games this season and 20 straight home games against non-conference opponents.
Rhode Island trailed by as many as 11 points in the first half, but the Rams took a 39-38 lead on Ulmer's layup at the halftime buzzer and remained in front throughout the second half.
The Stags (8-3) cut the lead to 74-73 with 3:13 left and 81-79 with 47 seconds remaining, but the Rams hit five free throws in the final 9 seconds.
Will Martell and Ben Eaves added 11 points each for Rhode Island.
Anthony Johnson led Fairfield with 23 points and 10 rebounds. Yorel Hawkins scored 18, Derek Needham added 17 and Ryan Olander added 13 points for the Stags.
- NCAA BB
RHODE ISLAND 89 FINAL
Dec 20 3:00 PM
- NCAA BB
RHODE ISLAND 39 HALFTIME
Dec 20 1:57 PM
- Rhode Island guard E.C. Matthews out for season Nov 14
- Hurley has new deal at Rhode Island Apr 2
- No. 17 VCU rallies to down Rhode Island Jan 13
- VCU and Rhode Island lock horns in A-10 tussle Jan 13
- Kansas beats URI to move on in Orlando Nov 27
- Rams butt heads with Jayhawks in Orlando Classic Nov 27
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska in OT Nov 23
- Rams butt heads with 21st-ranked Cornhuskers Nov 22
- No. 4 Duke reaches triple digits in rout of Fairfield Nov 15
- No. 4 Duke gets right back to work against Fairfield Nov 15
- Harrell lifts Louisville over Fairfield Nov 23
- Hall of Fame Tip Off pits Cardinals against Stags Nov 23