Charlotte uses late run to hold off Winthrop 57-47Dec 20, 2009 - 11:34 PM ROCK HILL, S.C.(AP) -- DiJuan Harris scored 12 points, including five free throws during the last 2 minutes, as Charlotte held on to defeat Winthrop 57-47 on Sunday.
The 49ers (9-1) shot 80 percent from the free throw line in the second half (12 of 15), and were 5-for-7 after the Eagles (5-5) pulled within two points late.
Winthrop's Andre Jones hit a 3-pointer to bring the Eagles within 49-47 with 2:07 to play.
Charlotte then closed out the game with eight straight points, including a 5-of-6 effort from the free throw line from Harris.
Shamari Spears scored 13 points and An'Juan Wilderness added 11 for the 49ers, who won their fourth straight road game. Charlotte, off to its best start since an 11-1 mark in 1991-92, won its seventh straight.
Charlotte outrebounded the Eagles 41-36, including 11 boards by Phil Jones.
Andy Buechert led Winthrop with 12 points.
- CIAA will stay in North Carolina despite state's LGBT law Apr 29
- Northern Iowa's winning culture leads to NCAA bid Mar 11
- Price experiencing growing pains in 1st year with Charlotte Dec 24
- Mark Price named Charlotte 49ers coach Mar 26
- Reports: Price to be named Charlotte 49ers coach Mar 25
- Major won't return as Charlotte coach Mar 15
- Coastal Carolina tops Winthrop for Big South title Mar 8
- Winthrop meets Coastal Carolina for Big South crown Mar 8
- Terps pull away to beat Winthrop Dec 6
- 21st-ranked Terps tangle with Eagles Dec 6
- Hurricanes hit 14 3s, hold off Charlotte Nov 26
- Charlotte and Miami do it again Nov 25