North Florida holds off Canisius 65-61Dec 22, 2009 - 2:04 AM HATTIESBURG, Miss.(AP) -- Andy Diaz scored 18 points and North Florida snapped a six-game losing streak with a 65-61 win over Canisius on Monday night in the South Mississippi Christmas Classic.
Matt Sauey added 14 points, Jerron Granberry had 13 and Brad Haugabrook 10 for the Ospreys (2-7).
The Ospreys, who led by as many as nine points in the second half, led 63-55 on a jumper by Diaz with 2:18 to play before the Golden Griffins (4-6) mounted a rally. Elton Frazier capped a 6-0 run on a jumper with 17 seconds remaining to cut the lead to 63-61.
Granberry was fouled on the inbounds pass and made two free throws for the final margin. Canisius missed two field goal attempts in the final seconds.
Frank Turner, who has scored in double figures in 29 straight games, led the Golden Griffins with 19 points. Tomas Vasquez-Simmons and Frazier each added 12 points.
- NCAA BB
NORTH FLORIDA 65 FINAL
Dec 21 7:39 PM
- NCAA BB
NORTH FLORIDA 35 HALFTIME
Dec 21 6:27 PM
- Canisius coach Baron retires after 29-year career May 20
- Robert Morris rallies past North Florida in First Four Mar 18
- Colonials and Ospreys clash in NCAA Tournament Mar 18
- Ospreys and Spartans collide in A-Sun title bout Mar 8
- No. 5 Michigan State cruises past North Florida Dec 17
- Weary Ospreys come calling on fifth-ranked Spartans Dec 17
- No. 7 Ohio State crushes North Florida Nov 29
- Ospreys challenge undefeated Buckeyes Nov 29
- No. 10 Gators fend off North Florida in opener Nov 9
- No. 10 Florida hosts North Florida in season opener Nov 8
- Florida Gulf Coast downs North Florida in Atlantic Sun quarterfinals Mar 6
- Bennett lifts UNLV over Canisius Dec 23