McKnight paces Akron over Illinois-Chicago 77-65Dec 23, 2009 - 2:43 AM AKRON, Ohio(AP) -- Brett McKnight scored 16 points and Jimmy Conyers grabbed 19 rebounds to help power Akron to its fourth straight victory, 77-65 over Illinois-Chicago on Tuesday night.
Conyers also scored 10 points while helping the Zips (8-3) pile up a 38-23 advantage on the boards and outscore the Flames (3-7) 34-24 in the paint.
Akron led throughout the second half after taking a 36-27 halftime lead with a 13-3 run over the final 5:14. The Zips outshot the Flames in the second half 53.8 percent (14-for-26) to 40.6 percent (13-for-32) while building their lead to as much as 15 points.
Darryl Roberts added 13 points for Akron, which has won eight of its last nine games, and Chris McKnight had 10 off the bench. The Zips' reserves outscored their UIC counterparts 26-14.
Zavion Neely scored 16 points to pace the Flames and Robo Kreps added 13.
- UIC hires McClain as men's basketball coach Mar 23
- Illinois-Chicago fires Moore Mar 10
- Niang paces Cyclones over Zips Dec 23
- Iowa State and Akron meet in Diamond Head Classic Dec 23
- UIC gives Moore contract extension Apr 17
- Daniels, Reddic lead Rams in rout of Zips Mar 22
- Akron takes on VCU in second round of NCAA Tournament Mar 20
- Akron routs Ohio for MAC title Mar 17
- Ohio battles Akron for MAC Tournament title Mar 16
- McDermott powers No. 16 Creighton past Akron Dec 9
- No. 16 Bluejays play host to Zips Dec 9
- Ohio edges Akron to take MAC title Mar 11