Austin Peay holds off Evansville 71-68Dec 23, 2009 - 3:53 AM CLARKSVILLE, Tenn.(AP) -- Anthony Campbell scored 17 points, including going 2-for-2 from the foul line in the game's final seconds, to lead Austin Peay in a 71-68 win over Evansville on Tuesday night.
Tyrone Caldwell turned a one-point Austin Peay advantage into a 69-66 lead, nailing a pair of free throws with 7 seconds left.
Ned Cox pulled Evansville back within one point with a couple of foul shots 2 seconds later, but Campbell sealed the game for the Governors at the stripe after Denver Holmes fouled him.
John Fraley added 14 points and Wes Channels chipped in 11 for the Governors (8-5), who bounced back after losing 90-69 at No. 3 Kentucky on Saturday.
Holmes led the Purple Aces (6-4) with 16 points. Clint Hopf had a double-double for Evansville, scoring 12 points and grabbing 11 boards.
The Governors snapped a three-game losing skid to Evansville.
- NCAA BB
AUSTIN PEAY 71 FINAL
Dec 22 10:16 PM
- NCAA BB
AUSTIN PEAY 39 HALFTIME
Dec 22 8:58 PM
- Coach Dave Loos returning as Austin Peay coach Apr 5
- Top-seeded Kansas opens tournament play vs. Austin Peay Mar 16
- Evansville claims CIT title over Northern Arizona Apr 2
- Northern Arizona and Evansville clash for CIT crown Apr 2
- Northern Iowa handles Evansville Feb 25
- Purple Aces hope to play spoiler in clash with Panthers Feb 25
- Wichita State shuts down Evansville Feb 22
- Evansville comes calling on No. 13 Wichita State Feb 22
- No. 13 Wichita State silences Evansville Jan 17
- Purple Aces host 13th-ranked Shockers in MVC melee Jan 17
- Evansville tops No. 23 Northern Iowa Jan 1
- MVC action pits Panthers against Purple Aces Jan 1