N.C.-Wilmington 64, Richmond 66Dec 29, 2009 - 2:47 AM RICHMOND, Va. (AP) -- Kevin Anderson made two free throws with 30.2 seconds remaining and Richmond defeated North Carolina-Wilmington 66-64 on Monday night.
Anderson's foul shots put the Spiders (10-3) ahead 65-63, helping Richmond get off to its best start since an 11-2 beginning in 1987-88.
Richmond trailed 59-51 with 3:05 left before forcing four Seahawks' turnovers on their next five possessions.
David Gonzalvez's three-point play with 1:45 left capped 10 straight points by Richmond, and put it ahead 61-59. The Seahawks (4-7) tied the game at 61-61 and again at 63-63 before Anderson's free throws gave the Spiders the lead for good. Gonzalvez added a free throw with 7.7 seconds left.
Anderson scored all 24 of his points in the final 13:22 and Gonzalvez finished with 12 points for the Spiders.
Chad Tomko and Jeremy Basnight scored 12 points each for the Seahawks.
- NCAA BB
UNC WILMINGTON 64
RICHMOND 66 FINAL
Dec 28 9:14 PM
- NCAA BB
UNC WILMINGTON 13
RICHMOND 18 HALFTIME
Dec 28 7:48 PM
- It's David vs. Goliath when UNC Wilmington meets Duke Mar 17
- Richmond reserve Wood to miss 2nd game with concussion Mar 10
- Passing fancy: Nancy Lieberman's son also an adept passer Feb 23
- Richmond nips No. 22 VCU in double OT Feb 26
- Bragging rights on line in clash between Rams and Spiders Feb 25
- Richmond upsets VCU in Capital City Classic Jan 31
- Rams butt heads with cross-town rival Spiders Jan 31
- No. 22 Dayton edges Richmond Jan 24
- 22nd-ranked Flyers set sights on Spiders Jan 24
- Louisville holds off UNCW Dec 14
- Fourth-ranked Cardinals set sights on Seahawks Dec 14
- UNC-Wilmington hires Louisville assistant Keatts Mar 27