Northern Arizona gets by Texas-Pan American 64-59Dec 28, 2009 - 11:48 PM EDINBURG, Texas(AP) -- Cameron Jones scored 25 points and Shane Johannsen added 18 as Northern Arizona held off Texas-Pan American 64-59 on Monday.
Jones and Johannsen each hit two key free throws in the final 12 seconds after the Lumberjacks (5-7) had their 21-point second-half lead slashed to one.
Jared Maree led the Broncs (1-13) with 18 points, all after halftime.
Northern Arizona took a 42-21 lead 11 seconds into the second half on a three-point play by Johannsen. From there, Texas-Pan American slowly chipped away at the lead and pulled to within 58-57 with 2:24 to play and 60-59 with 1:10 left.
The Lumberjacks, though, never surrendered the lead despite hitting just 7 of 23 shots after halftime, including only one in the final 9 minutes.
NAU built an early 9-2 advantage and used a 15-5 run to extended its lead to 33-13 with 3:28 left in the first half.
- NCAA BB
NORTHRN ARIZONA 64
TX PAN AMERICAN 59 FINAL
Dec 28 5:00 PM
- NCAA BB
NORTHRN ARIZONA 39
TX PAN AMERICAN 21 HALFTIME
Dec 28 3:50 PM
- Northern Arizona returns 4 players from CIT runner-up team Nov 4
- Evansville claims CIT title over Northern Arizona Apr 2
- Northern Arizona and Evansville clash for CIT crown Apr 2
- Northern Arizona coach suspended for fracas in Big Sky tourney Mar 15
- Arizona rolls, remains unbeaten Dec 24
- Lumberjacks hope to chop down top-ranked Wildcats Dec 23
- Hipsher to take over at UT-Pan American Apr 4
- No. 9 Arizona thumps Northern Arizona Nov 29
- Wildcats play host to rival Lumberjacks Nov 28
- No. 18 UNLV hammers Northern Arizona Nov 13
- Lumberjacks try to chop down Runnin' Rebels Nov 12
- Northern Arizona names Jack Murphy head coach Apr 12