Rhode Island downs Drexel 80-79Dec 30, 2009 - 2:59 AM PHILADELPHIA(AP) -- Lamonte Ulmer's putback with 1.7 seconds left propelled Rhode Island to an 80-79 win over Drexel on Tuesday night.
Samme Givens hit a jumper to put Drexel ahead 79-74 with 39 seconds remaining - then Keith Cothran took over.
Rhode Island's senior guard hit a pair of free throws to pull the Rams (10-1) within three with 33 seconds left, and then nailed a jumper 16 seconds later to get within 79-78.
After timeouts from both teams, Cothran stole the ball from Givens and pulled up for a jumper. Cothran's shot wouldn't go, but Ulmer was there for the game-winning tip-in.
The Dragons (6-7) didn't attempt a shot from the floor during the Rams' game-winning 6-0 run.
Cothran had a career-high 28 points for the Rams and Orion Outerbridge added 13. Ulmer scored 11 points and grabbed a career-high 13 boards.
Chris Fouch led Drexel with a career-high 23 points.
- NCAA BB
RHODE ISLAND 80
DREXEL 79 FINAL
Dec 29 9:08 PM
- NCAA BB
RHODE ISLAND 48
DREXEL 44 HALFTIME
Dec 29 7:53 PM
- Drexel hires Army's Zach Spiker as basketball coach. Mar 25
- Drexel fires coach Bruiser Flint after 15 seasons Mar 7
- Rhode Island guard E.C. Matthews out for season Nov 14
- Lee transfers to Louisville Apr 23
- Hurley has new deal at Rhode Island Apr 2
- No. 17 VCU rallies to down Rhode Island Jan 13
- VCU and Rhode Island lock horns in A-10 tussle Jan 13
- Kansas beats URI to move on in Orlando Nov 27
- Rams butt heads with Jayhawks in Orlando Classic Nov 27
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska in OT Nov 23
- Rams butt heads with 21st-ranked Cornhuskers Nov 22
- Drexel can't hold early lead, falls to No. 4 Arizona Nov 27