Spears, Green lead Charlotte past Mercer 91-80Dec 30, 2009 - 2:49 AM CHARLOTTE, N.C.(AP) -- Shamari Spears and Derrio Green scored 23 points each to help Charlotte overcome an early deficit and defeat Mercer 91-80 on Tuesday night.
Phil Jones added 11 points and Chris Braswell had his fifth double-double of the season with 14 points and 14 rebounds for the 49ers (10-2).
Charlotte, which has won eight of its past nine games, is off to its best start since 2004, when the 49ers began the season 12-2.
James Florence, who scored 22 points for the Bears (4-8), broke Sam Mitchell's career scoring record. Florence has 2,001 career points, surpassing Mitchell's 1,987.
E.J. Kusnyer added 14, Jeff Smith chipped in 13 and Daniel Emerson had 12 points and 13 rebounds for Mercer.
- CIAA will stay in North Carolina despite state's LGBT law Apr 29
- Price experiencing growing pains in 1st year with Charlotte Dec 24
- Mark Price named Charlotte 49ers coach Mar 26
- Reports: Price to be named Charlotte 49ers coach Mar 25
- Major won't return as Charlotte coach Mar 15
- Hurricanes hit 14 3s, hold off Charlotte Nov 26
- Charlotte and Miami do it again Nov 25
- Tennessee cruises past Mercer to reach Sweet 16 Mar 23
- Mercer seeks another upset in clash with Tennessee Mar 23
- Mercer's late rally stuns Duke Mar 21
- Blue Devils and Bears meet in Midwest Regional battle Mar 21
- Mercer takes out Florida Gulf Coast for Atlantic Sun crown Mar 9