Virginia Commonwealth defeats East Carolina 82-74Dec 30, 2009 - 3:15 AM RICHMOND, Va.(AP) -- Brandon Rozzell's 3-pointer with 2:29 left gave Virginia Commonwealth a two-point lead and ignited a 9-0 run as the Rams topped East Carolina 82-74 on Tuesday night.
After Rozzell's trey, T.J Gwynn had a follow and the Rams (8-2) hit 4 of 7 free throws. The Pirates (5-8) missed their final five field goals and did not score in the last 2:57. East Carolina had one field goal in the final 7:44.
There were 13 ties and 22 lead changes and neither team had a double-digit lead.
Virginia Commonwealth's Larry Sanders had a career-high 23 points, nine rebounds and four blocks. Joey Rodriguez had a season-high 19 points and Rozzell added 15.
East Carolina's Jamar Abrams, returning to his hometown, had a career-high 26 points, going 10-for-15 from the field and 5-for-8 on 3-point attempts. Chad Wynn added a season-high 17 points and Brock Young had 16.
- NCAA BB
EAST CAROLINA 74
VA COMMONWEALTH 82 FINAL
Dec 29 9:26 PM
- NCAA BB
EAST CAROLINA 42
VA COMMONWEALTH 44 HALFTIME
Dec 29 8:20 PM
- Things looking more normal for Wade in Year 2 at VCU May 13
- VCU announces sophomore F Michael Gilmore is transferring May 3
- VCU restructures, extends contract of men's hoops coach Wade Mar 29
- Oklahoma faces another dangerous double-digit seed in VCU Mar 19
- Payton II following in father's NCAA footsteps at Oregon St Mar 17
- VCU hoping to find winning formula again in NCAA Tournament Mar 16
- VCU seeking another shot at A10 Tournament championship Mar 9
- JeQuan Lewis' growth at PG a key to VCU's winning streak Feb 5
- VCU coach Will Wade says surging Rams can't get complacent Jan 21
- Broken finger likely to sideline VCU's Burgess 'a few weeks' Jan 11
- Wade to begin VCU's post-Shaka era with modified 'Havoc' Nov 10
- Wade leaves Chattanooga to return to VCU Apr 7