Brenton leads Stony Brook past Holy Cross 69-60Dec 31, 2009 - 10:19 PM STONY BROOK, N.Y.(AP) -- Tommy Brenton had a career-high 18 points, scoring nine of Stony Brook's last 11, and 11 rebounds to lead the Seawolves to a 69-60 victory over Holy Cross on Thursday.
Bryan Dougher also scored 18 points for Stony Brook (8-5), which held the Crusaders (2-11) scoreless for the final 3:50 after Holy Cross had pulled within one point.
The Seawolves ended a two-game skid and matched last year's squad for the most nonconference wins (eight) since joining the America East in 2001-02.
Stony Brook jumped out to an 11-0 lead and never trailed, leading 38-30 at halftime.
R.J. Evans hit two free throws to pull Holy Cross within 60-59 with 4:38 left. After Brenton made a foul shot, Evans hit the front end of a 1-and-1 with 3:50 left for the Crusaders' final point.
Andrew Beinert had 16 points and Andrew Keister added 13 points and a career-high 18 rebounds for Holy Cross.
- NCAA BB
HOLY CROSS 60
STONY BROOK 69 FINAL
Dec 31 3:59 PM
- NCAA BB
HOLY CROSS 30
STONY BROOK 38 HALFTIME
Dec 31 2:53 PM
- Stony Brook hires Ohio State's Boals as basketball coach Apr 9
- Kentucky routs Stony Brook 85-57, gets Indiana next Mar 18
- Tyler Dorsey a catalyst to Oregon's surge for No. 1 seed Mar 17
- No. 4 seed Kentucky opens NCAA Tournament vs. Stony Brook Mar 17
- At Stony Brook, team and fan help each other cope with loss Mar 16
- Unlikely qualifier Holy Cross plays Southern in First Four Mar 15
- Stony Brook with 91-42 win over Div. III Farmingdale State Nov 28
- Holy Carmody! Crusaders name their coach Mar 19
- Albany stuns Stony Brook to win third straight AEC crown Mar 14
- Stony Brook and Albany meet for AEC title Mar 14
- Holy Cross fires Brown after 5 seasons Mar 6
- Stony Brook stuns No. 13 Washington Dec 28