Machado's late layup lift Iona past Niagara 63-60Jan 2, 2010 - 10:59 PM BUFFALO, N.Y.(AP) -- Scott Machado made a layup with 28 seconds left to lift Iona to a 63-60 win over Niagara on Saturday.
The Gaels (9-5, 1-2 Metro Athletic Atlantic Conference) trailed by 10 points with 10:46 left in the second half of a game that had 18 lead changes and 10 ties.
Eric Williams' three-point play put the Purple Eagles (9-6, 2-1) ahead 58-55 with 2:30 left. Iona scored four straight points on back-to-back layups by Alejo Rodriguez, until Williams made a layup to give Niagara a 60-59 lead with 39 seconds to play.
But Machado, who had 12 points and six assists, hit his go-ahead layup to put the Gaels up for good. Dwight led Iona with 13 points and Rodriguez added 12.
Bilal Benn finished with a game-high 21 points for Niagara.
Tyrone Lewis scored 11 points and became the fifth player in MAAC history with 1,500 career points, 200 career steals and his 200th assist.
- NCAA BB
NIAGARA 60 FINAL
Jan 2 3:54 PM
- NCAA BB
NIAGARA 28 HALFTIME
Jan 2 2:48 PM
- Morris and Iowa State race past Iona 94-81 Mar 17
- Iona spoiled Monmouth bench mob party Mar 16
- Niagara edges Marist 69-66 Jan 28
- Iona's suspends Washington 2 games for slap Jan 17
- Sophomore Much receives NCAA waiver, can play right away Nov 15
- Iona gives hoops coach Cluess extension Mar 26
- Manhattan pulls away late, bests Iona for MAAC title Mar 9
- Manhattan takes on Iona in MAAC title tilt Mar 9
- Arkansas 6-0 after win over Iona Nov 30
- Gaels and Hogs mix it up to close holiday weekend Nov 30
- Manhattan edges Iona for MAAC title Mar 10
- MAAC title on line in clash between Jaspers and Gaels Mar 10