Fairfield slips past Canisius 58-52Jan 3, 2010 - 12:04 AM BUFFALO, N.Y.(AP) -- Anthony Johnson and Yorel Hawkins both tallied double-doubles, and Fairfield went on a 7-0 run in the final 2:07 to beat Canisius 58-52 on Saturday.
Canisius led by one point at halftime and most of the second half, retaking the advantage at 52-51 on a Greg Logins layup with 2:38 left.
Those were the last points for the Golden Griffins, who missed four 3s, two layups and had a shot blocked in the final minutes. During that time, Derek Needham's layup started a 7-0 run that also saw the Stags (10-3, 3-0 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference) hit five free throws.
Johnson and Hawkins finished with 12 points apiece for Fairfield. Johnson added 13 rebounds and three blocks, while Hawkins grabbed 10 boards and recorded two blocks. Needham finished with 10 points for the Stags, who have won six of seven.
Julius Coles led Canisius (6-8, 1-2) with 14 points.
- Canisius coach Baron retires after 29-year career May 20
- No. 4 Duke reaches triple digits in rout of Fairfield Nov 15
- No. 4 Duke gets right back to work against Fairfield Nov 15
- Harrell lifts Louisville over Fairfield Nov 23
- Hall of Fame Tip Off pits Cardinals against Stags Nov 23
- Bennett lifts UNLV over Canisius Dec 23
- Canisius heads to Sin City to take on No. 21 UNLV Dec 22
- No. 4 Syracuse routs Canisius Dec 15
- Fourth-ranked Syracuse hosts Canisius in Gotham Classic Dec 15
- Canisius hires Jim Baron Apr 2
- Loyola-Maryland captures first MAAC title since '94 Mar 6
- Stags and Greyhounds meet for MAAC Tournament title Mar 5