Oakland, Mich., edges IUPUI 85-82, leads SummitJan 3, 2010 - 1:11 AM ROCHESTER, Mich.(AP) -- Derick Nelson scored a season-high 24 points and two players had double-doubles as Oakland, Mich., held off IUPUI 85-82 Saturday to take sole possession of first place in the Summit League.
Keith Benson had 23 points and 13 rebounds for his ninth double-double of the season, and Johnathon Jones had 12 points and 11 assists for the Golden Grizzlies (9-7, 3-0), who won their third in a row.
All five starters scored in double figures for the Jaguars (10-6, 3-1), led by Robert Glenn's 21. Leroy Nobles scored 16, Alex Young 15 and John Ashworth and Billy Pettiford 13 each. The bench contributed only four points.
Oakland's biggest edge in the first half was nine points before leading 44-40 at the break.
The Grizzlies' lead swelled to 13 midway through the second half. IUPUI cut it to two three times in the last 3 minutes but never gained the lead.
- Oakland University agrees to 3-year, $864K deal with Kampe Apr 11
- Oakland U's Kay Felder hires agent, will stay in draft Apr 8
- Oakland's Felder declares for draft, has not hired agent Apr 5
- Werner, N. Dakota St. beat IUPUI in Summit tourney quarters Mar 6
- Oakland beats Robert Morris 92-74 behind Hooper Dec 5
- Wells helps No. 15 Maryland beat Oakland Dec 27
- Terps close out non-conference slate against Grizzlies Dec 27
- No. 3 Arizona routs Oakland Dec 17
- Oakland hits road seeking upset of No. 3 Arizona Dec 16
- Niang guides Iowa State over Oakland Nov 15
- Oakland pays visit to No. 14 Iowa State Nov 14
- Oakland's Bader sets NCAA 3-point mark Feb 2