Smith's 3 lifts Mercer past Jacksonville 75-74Jan 3, 2010 - 12:13 AM JACKSONVILLE, Fla.(AP) -- Jeff Smith scored a career-high 21 points, including a buzzr-beating 3-pointer, to lift Mercer over Jacksonville 75-74 on Saturday.
The Bears (5-8, 1-2 Atlantic Sun Conference), who had lost seven of their last eight, snapped a three-game skid.
Ben Smith gave the Dolphins the lead with two free throws with 4 seconds left. Mercer's Smith took the ball the length of the court, pump-faked twice and hit the 3. Officials conferred before counting the basket.
Jacksonville (3-8, 0-3), which had won two straight for the UCF Holiday Classic title, was the preseason media pick to win the conference.
James Florence added 20 points for the Bears. Daniel Emerson had his eighth double-double of the season with 17 points and 14 boards.
Jacksonville's Smith scored 28, becoming the first Dolphin since Artemus McClary in 1996 to surpass 1,500 career points, and has 1,524.
- NCAA BB
JACKSONVILLE 74 FINAL
Jan 2 5:33 PM
- NCAA BB
JACKSONVILLE 33 HALFTIME
Jan 2 4:18 PM
- Morehead State beats Jacksonville State 82-71 Feb 27
- Former Jacksonville basketball standout Morgan dies at 67 Jan 15
- Jacksonville takes down Thomas (Ga) 92-64 Nov 23
- Jacksonville turns to Jasick Apr 9
- Tennessee cruises past Mercer to reach Sweet 16 Mar 23
- Mercer seeks another upset in clash with Tennessee Mar 23
- Mercer's late rally stuns Duke Mar 21
- Blue Devils and Bears meet in Midwest Regional battle Mar 21
- Mercer takes out Florida Gulf Coast for Atlantic Sun crown Mar 9
- Eagles and Bears meet in A-Sun title game Mar 9
- No. 15 Florida cruises past Jacksonville Nov 25
- Sunshine State melee pits Gators against Dolphins Nov 25