Louisiana Tech defeats Nevada 77-71Jan 3, 2010 - 3:57 AM RUSTON, La.(AP) -- Jamel Guyton scored 21 points and Louisiana Tech defeated Nevada 77-71 in the Western Athletic Conference opener for both teams on Saturday night.
Guyton was 7 of 14 from the field for the Bulldogs (13-2), who shot 56 percent in the second half (14 of 25).
Louisiana Tech scored 40 points in the paint and 17 off of 17 Wolfpack (8-6) turnovers.
Olu Ashaolu, No. 4 in the WAC with 9.4 rebounds per game, had 12 boards and 14 points for the Bulldogs.
The WAC's leading scorer (21.6 points per game), Kyle Gibson added 17 points, DeAndre Brown 12 and Magnum Rolle 11 for Louisiana Tech, which won its sixth straight.
Nevada was led by Luke Babbitt with 24 points and 13 rebounds. Dario Hunt tallied 11 rebounds for the Wolfpack, which outrebounded Louisiana Tech 43-36.
Armon Johnson chipped in 15 points for Nevada and Joey Shaw added 13.
- AP Source: Former UNLV coach Dave Rice hired at Nevada Apr 25
- Nevada defends hire of Cal assistant accused of harassment Apr 15
- Nevada hires former Cal assistant Yann Hufnagel Apr 9
- West leaves Nevada hoops; ex-star cites personal reasons Dec 15
- Nevada picks Eric Musselman as men's coach Mar 25
- Tulsa edges Louisiana Tech to win C-USA title Mar 15
- Tulsa takes on Louisiana Tech for C-USA Tournament title Mar 15
- Bairstow, No. 25 New Mexico down Nevada Mar 2
- Lobos meet Wolf Pack in MWC clash Mar 2
- Aztecs win 20th straight, beat Nevada Feb 9
- Aztecs put streak on line against Wolf Pack Feb 8
- Oklahoma State downs Louisiana Tech Dec 14