Hampton beats Fordham 78-54Jan 4, 2010 - 1:39 AM HAMPTON, Va.(AP) -- Michael Freeman recorded his fourth double-double of the season, leading Hampton to a 78-54 win over Fordham on Sunday.
Freeman scored 18 points and grabbed 10 rebounds for the Pirates (3-10), who posted their largest margin of victory since 2007. Vincent Simpson chipped in with 11 points.
The Pirates set season-high marks in shooting (51 percent from the floor) and rebounding (42). The Pirates capitalized on 21 turnovers, and outrebounded the Rams 32-16 on the defensive boards.
Hampton interim coach Edward Joyner Jr. notched his first home win, snapping a five-game losing streak.
The Pirates went on a 15-5 run late in the second half to pull ahead to its largest margin, 69-37 with 5:25 to play after a 3-pointer from Brandon Tunnell.
Brenton Butler scored 21 points for the Rams (2-10), who have lost five straight.
- UVa routs Hampton 81-45 after Bennett collapses, returns Mar 17
- No. 1 seed Virginia keeps focus on Hampton - not Spartans Mar 16
- Balanced Fordham defeats Fairleigh Dickinson 85-62 Nov 21
- Fordham hires EKU's Neubauer as coach Mar 30
- Kentucky starts slow, still pummels Hampton Mar 20
- No. 1 Kentucky opens with matchup against Hampton Mar 19
- Pecora fired at Fordham Mar 18
- Hampton tops Manhattan, advances to play Kentucky Mar 18
- Hampton and Manhattan open NCAA Tournament Mar 17
- Hampton tops Delaware State for MEAC title Mar 14
- Hampton, Delaware State battle in MEAC championship Mar 14
- Jordan, Harrison lead St. John's past Fordham Dec 14