Canisius beats Iona 77-65Jan 5, 2010 - 3:17 AM BUFFALO, N.Y.(AP) -- Greg Logins had 20 points and three others scored in double figures as Canisius beat Iona 77-65 on Monday night.
Frank Turner, the leading scorer in the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference, added 18 points for the Golden Griffins (7-8, 2-2). Bob Bevilacqua had 12 points and Elton Frazier added 11. Tomas Vazquez-Simmons had a game-high 11 rebounds for the Golden Griffins.
Iona had won two straight in the series and five of the last six between the two schools. The loss was only the second in the past seven games for the Gaels (9-6, 1-3).
The Gaels led 14-7 before the Golden Griffins went on a 21-2 run to take a 28-16 lead on a 3-pointer by Turner with 6:20 to go in the first half. Canisius led 37-27 at halftime and the lead never dipped below seven points the rest of the game.
Scott Machado led the Gaels with 17 points, Kyle Smith added 14 and Jermel Jenkins had 12.
- Canisius coach Baron retires after 29-year career May 20
- Morris and Iowa State race past Iona 94-81 Mar 17
- Iona spoiled Monmouth bench mob party Mar 16
- Iona's suspends Washington 2 games for slap Jan 17
- Sophomore Much receives NCAA waiver, can play right away Nov 15
- Iona gives hoops coach Cluess extension Mar 26
- Manhattan pulls away late, bests Iona for MAAC title Mar 9
- Manhattan takes on Iona in MAAC title tilt Mar 9
- Arkansas 6-0 after win over Iona Nov 30
- Gaels and Hogs mix it up to close holiday weekend Nov 30
- Manhattan edges Iona for MAAC title Mar 10
- MAAC title on line in clash between Jaspers and Gaels Mar 10