Jackson State defeats Alabama A&M 71-60Jan 5, 2010 - 4:48 AM JACKSON, Miss.(AP) -- Tyrone Hanson scored 19 points and De'Suan Dixon added 18 to help Jackson State defeat Alabama A&M in the Southwestern Athletic Conference opener for both teams on Monday night.
The Tigers (2-10), who won three in a row after dropping their first 10, used a 12-3 run early to pull away.
After Evan Hilton's jump shot tied it at 11 for the Bulldogs (3-5) with 13:55 left in the first half, Phillip Williams made a layup to spark Jackson State's spurt.
Dixon capped the run on a 3-pointer with 10 minutes left in the first half for a 23-14 Tigers' lead.
Jackson State, which shot 44.8 percent (26 of 58), outrebounded Alabama A&M 41-27. Dixon finished with eight rebounds.
Hilton scored 23 points to lead the Bulldogs, who lost their third straight.
Casey Cantey added 15 points for Alabama A&M, which shot just 9.1 percent from 3-point range (1 of 11).
- Memphis outlasts Jackson State Dec 28
- Jackson State seeks upset of No. 17 Memphis Dec 28
- New Mexico opens with easy win over Alabama A&M Nov 10
- Lobos open season against visiting Bulldogs Nov 9
- Brent takes over as new Jackson State coach Mar 25
- Baylor eases past Jackson State Nov 11
- Jackson State battles No. 19 Baylor Nov 11
- No. 20 Michigan routs Alabama A&M Dec 17
- Alabama A&M pays visit to No. 20 Michigan Dec 17
- No. 22 Memphis drops Jackson State Nov 29
- Jackson State faces tough task in bout with Memphis Nov 28
- Crimson Tide stay perfect, down Bulldogs Nov 24