Kanacevic leads Hofstra past Towson 77-61Jan 7, 2010 - 2:41 AM HEMPSTEAD, N.Y.(AP) -- Freshman Halil Kanacevic scored a career-high 18 points and had 10 rebounds and five blocks as Hofstra used a first-half spurt to pull away from Towson 77-61 on Wednesday night.
Chaz Williams scored 14 of his 16 points in the first half for the Pride (9-7, 2-2 Colonial Athletic Association), who ended a two-game skid. Williams finished 4-for-4 from 3-point range and is 7-for-7 from beyond the arc in the last two games.
After the score was tied six times in the first half - the last occasion at 30 with 8:18 left - Hofstra used a 7-0 burst, capped by a Nathaniel Lester dunk, to pull away.
The Pride extended a 45-36 halftime lead to as many as 19 points by outshooting the Tigers in the second half 48.1 percent (13-for-27) to 25 percent (5-for-20) from the field.
Calvin Lee led Towson (3-10) with 17 points and Robert Nwankwo added 14 points, 10 rebounds and six blocks.
- NCAA BB
HOFSTRA 77 FINAL
Jan 6 8:54 PM
- NCAA BB
HOFSTRA 45 HALFTIME
Jan 6 7:56 PM
- Hofstra, Mihalich agree to extension Apr 29
- Hofstra's Nichols to miss rest of season Jan 26
- Hofstra's rise close to being complete Oct 22
- Hofstra coach Mihalich agrees to extension Jun 1
- Skerry's contract extended through 2020 May 2
- SMU-Hofstra game postponed Dec 6
- Wiggins leads Kansas past Towson Nov 22
- Towson hits road to challenge No. 2 Kansas Nov 22
- Louisville breezes past Hofstra Nov 12
- Pride come calling on third-ranked Cardinals Nov 12
- Towson's Skerry given contract extension Aug 15
- Hofstra hires Mihalich Apr 10