Georgia St. 50, N.C.-Wilmington 57Jan 7, 2010 - 2:39 AM WILMINGTON, N.C. (AP) -- John Fields scored 13 points and had 16 rebounds to lead North Carolina-Wilmington to a 57-50 victory over Georgia State on Wednesday night.
The Seahawks (6-8, 2-2 Colonial Athletic Association) won despite shooting only 34.6 percent from the field (9-for-26) in the second half. UNC-Wilmington shot 40 percent for the game (20-for-50), compared to 32.3 percent (20-for-62) for Georgia State (8-8, 2-2).
Georgia State led by nine early in the first half before the Seahawks took a 25-23 lead on Chad Tomko's layup with 2:29 left in the first half.
UNC-Wilmington extended its margin to 37-26 on Tomko's free throw with 16:39 to play. The Panthers twice cut the margin to two points, but couldn't tie or retake the lead.
Tomko had 10 points, the 19th straight game he's reached double figures. Downey Montez also scored 10.
Joe Dukes scored 21 points for Georgia State.
- It's David vs. Goliath when UNC Wilmington meets Duke Mar 17
- Georgia State's R.J. Hunter to enter NBA Draft Mar 30
- Xavier downs Georgia State, reaches Sweet 16 Mar 21
- Panthers seek another upset in clash with Musketeers Mar 21
- Georgia State upsets Baylor on Hunter's 3 Mar 19
- Bears and Panthers clash in West Regional Mar 19
- Georgia State coach injured in celebration Mar 15
- Georgia State makes NCAAs for 1st time since 2001 Mar 15
- Georgia pride and Sun Belt title up for grabs Mar 15
- Louisville holds off UNCW Dec 14
- Fourth-ranked Cardinals set sights on Seahawks Dec 14
- Georgia State's Thomas declared ineligible Dec 8