Winthrop slows down high-scoring VMI 96-63Jan 8, 2010 - 2:20 AM ROCK HILL, S.C.(AP) -- Matt Morgan scored 15 points and four other Winthrop players scored in double figures, slowing down high-scoring Virginia Military Institute in a 96-63 win on Thursday night.
Reggie Middleton finished with 13 points for the Eagles (6-9, 2-3 Big South Conference). Justin Burton, Gideon Gamble and Mantoris Robinson each scored 10 points.
Winthrop's defense was superb against the Keydets (4-8, 1-3), who came in averaging 94 points per game. Keith Gabriel, VMI's leading scorer with 19.4 points a game, finished with six points on 2 of 7 shooting and six turnovers.
Austin Kenon led the Keydets with 14 points, six rebounds and four assists. Stan Okoye had 12 points.
The Eagles were dominant throughout the contest, building a 36-16 lead on a 3-pointer by Gamble with 8:03 left in the first half. Robinson's layup pushed Winthrop's margin to 30 midway through the second half.
- Northern Iowa's winning culture leads to NCAA bid Mar 11
- Samford tops VMI in OT, 92-85, advances in SoCon tourney Mar 4
- VMI introduces Earl as new men's hoops coach Apr 13
- Citadel hires VMI coach Baucom Mar 30
- Coastal Carolina tops Winthrop for Big South title Mar 8
- Winthrop meets Coastal Carolina for Big South crown Mar 8
- Terps pull away to beat Winthrop Dec 6
- 21st-ranked Terps tangle with Eagles Dec 6
- No. 21 West Virginia routs VMI Nov 27
- Mountaineers continue run against Keydets Nov 26
- Coastal Carolina tops Winthrop for Big South crown Mar 9
- Winthrop challenges Chanticleers for Big South title Mar 9