Old Dominion cold at line but beats Hofstra 57-46Jan 10, 2010 - 12:09 AM NORFOLK, Va.(AP) -- Keyon Carter scored 14 points and Frank Hassell grabbed a career-high 14 rebounds as Old Dominion overcame a horrible start at the free throw line to defeat Hofstra 57-46 on Saturday.
The Monarchs (12-5, 4-1 Colonial Athletic Association) won their 17th consecutive home game despite shooting 3-for-15 on free throws in the first half.
They improved in the second half, however, making 11 of 19, including 4-for-4 during a 10-2 run that gave Old Dominion a 48-38 lead with 7:36 remaining after the Pride (9-8, 2-3) had pulled within 38-36.
Hofstra didn't get nearly as many free throw opportunities, going 6-for-10 for the game.
Neither team shot particularly well from the field, Hofstra making 35.8 percent (19-for-53) to Old Dominion's 33.3 percent (20-for-60).
Charles Jenkins scored 18 points to lead Hofstra.
- Hofstra, Mihalich agree to extension Apr 29
- Scoring spree: ODU guard Trey Freeman putting up big numbers Feb 17
- Hofstra's Nichols to miss rest of season Jan 26
- Hofstra's rise close to being complete Oct 22
- Hofstra coach Mihalich agrees to extension Jun 1
- Western Kentucky knocks off No. 25 ODU Jan 10
- Western Kentucky hosts No. 25 Old Dominion Jan 10
- Newly ranked ODU rolls past Marshall Jan 8
- No. 25 Old Dominion takes aim at Marshall Jan 8
- Old Dominion knocks off cold-shooting VCU Nov 30
- 14th-ranked Rams butt heads with Monarchs Nov 29
- SMU-Hofstra game postponed Dec 6