MVSU defeats Alabama State 76-73Jan 10, 2010 - 2:34 AM MONTGOMERY, Ala.(AP) -- Julius Cheeks scored 21 points to lead Mississippi Valley State to a 76-73 win over Alabama State on Saturday night.
Cheeks also added seven rebounds for the Delta Devils (2-13, 1-1 Southwestern Athletic Conference), who shot an impressive 61.9 percent from the field (26-for-42). MVSU snapped an 11-game losing streak.
A layup from Alabama State's A.J. Spencer tied the score at 72 with 53 seconds left in the game.
Cheeks responded with two free throws to give MVSU a two-point lead with 20 seconds left, but Alabama State's Tramayne Moorer was fouled with 8 seconds remaining.
Moorer made only 1 of 2 free throws, though, and Cheeks made two more free throws to secure the win. Menji Mundadi missed a potential game-tying 3-pointer at the buzzer.
Mundadi scored 23 to lead the Hornets (4-10, 1-2). Moorer added 22 points, going 11-for-16 from the free-throw line.
- NCAA BB
MISS VALLEY ST 76
ALABAMA ST 73 FINAL
Jan 9 8:53 PM
- NCAA BB
MISS VALLEY ST 36
ALABAMA ST 33 HALFTIME
Jan 9 7:30 PM
- Robert Morris hangs on for 67-64 win over MVSU Nov 28
- No. 9 Iowa State crushes Mississippi Valley Dec 31
- Cyclones go in search of two milestone wins Dec 31
- Payne named Mississippi Valley men's basketball coach Jul 11
- Oklahoma State routs MVSU Nov 9
- Cowboys set sights on Delta Devils in season opener Nov 8
- No. 24 Cincy crushes MVSU Nov 14
- Delta Devils set to challenge 24th-ranked Bearcats Nov 13
- Florida stomps Alabama State Nov 11
- Gators officially open season against visiting Hornets Nov 11
- WKU rallies from 16 down to beat MVSU Mar 13
- Hilltoppers and Delta Devils open up NCAA Tournament action Mar 13