Lafayette holds off Holy Cross 84-74Jan 9, 2010 - 9:26 PM EASTON, Pa.(AP) -- Ryan Willen scored 20 points to lead four Lafayette players in double figures, propelling the Leopards to an 84-74 win over Holy Cross on Saturday in the Patriot League opener for both teams.
Jared Mintz added 16 points, Jeff Kari 14 and Jim Mower 13 for the Leopards (10-6), who have won three straight games and six of their last seven.
Willen and Kari nailed three 3-pointers apiece for the Leopards, who finished 8 of 15 from long range (53.3 percent). Holy Cross was just 5 of 17 from beyond the arc (29.4 percent).
Lafayette led by five points at halftime, but Holy Cross took a 43-40 lead less than 5 minutes into the second on R.J. Evans' layup. Kari hit a 3-pointer to pull Lafayette even, though, sparking a 17-3 run that sealed it.
Evans scored 19 points to lead the Crusaders (3-13), who have dropped seven of their last eight.
- Tyler Dorsey a catalyst to Oregon's surge for No. 1 seed Mar 17
- Unlikely qualifier Holy Cross plays Southern in First Four Mar 15
- Villanova trounces Lafayette in NCAA opener Mar 20
- Holy Carmody! Crusaders name their coach Mar 19
- Lafayette challenges No. 1 seed Villanova Mar 19
- Lafayette gets past American for Patriot League title Mar 11
- American and Lafayette meet for Patriot League title Mar 11
- Holy Cross fires Brown after 5 seasons Mar 6
- No. 10 Kansas dominates Lafayette Dec 20
- Lafayette comes calling on No. 10 Kansas Dec 20
- Holy Cross shocks Harvard Nov 16
- Beantown brawl pits Crimson against Crusaders Nov 16