Texas-San Antonio 78, McNeese St. 69Jan 9, 2010 - 11:53 PM LAKE CHARLES, La. (AP) -- Morris Smith IV scored 22 points and Devin Gibson added 21 to help Texas-San Antonio defeat McNeese State 78-69 in the Southland Conference opener for both teams on Saturday.
The Roadrunners (11-3, 1-0), who are off to their best start since 2001-02, shot 68 percent from the field in the second half (17 of 25).
After Diego Kapelan's 3-pointer tied the game at 60-60 with 3:54 left, Texas-San Antonio answered with seven straight points. Omar Johnson put the Roadrunners ahead 67-60 on two free throws with 1:46 to play.
The Cowboys (6-9, 0-1) led 32-28 at halftime, but missed three 3-pointers leading to six straight points by the Roadrunners. Gibson's jumper with 15:11 put Texas-San Antonio up 34-32, and they wouldn't trail the rest of the way.
Kapelan and Patrick Richard scored 15 each for the Cowboys, who lost their fourth straight.
- Oklahoma assistant Steve Henson hired as UTSA head coach Apr 1
- Texas-San Antonio fires basketball coach Brooks Thompson Mar 10
- Elmore scores 23 with 7 treys as Marshall beats UTSA 109-91 Feb 6
- Loyola of Chicago pulls away from UTSA in 76-64 win Nov 14
- San Diego State blows past McNeese State Dec 22
- No. 24 San Diego State entertains McNeese State Dec 21
- Balanced attack sends Michigan State past McNeese State Nov 9
- No. 2 Michigan State opens against McNeese State Nov 8
- UTSA extends Thompson through 2016-17 Jul 26
- North Carolina routs McNeese State Dec 22
- McNeese State comes calling on No. 23 North Carolina Dec 22
- Lamar downs McNeese State in Southland final Mar 11