Akron routs Bowling Green 71-45Jan 10, 2010 - 3:04 AM AKRON, Ohio(AP) -- Jimmy Conyers scored 16 points and Akron beat Bowling Green 71-45 on Saturday night in the Mid-American Conference opener for both teams.
It was the 11th win in the past 12 games in the series for the Zips (11-4), who have won 11 of 13 since opening the season 0-2.
Steve McNees added 11 points, and reserves Chris McKnight and Steve Swiech each scored 10 points. The defending conference tournament champion Zips got 32 points from its reserves and scored 28 points off 21 Bowling Green turnovers.
The Zips made 42.9 percent of their 3-point shots (9 of 21), but went 6-for-7 (85.7 percent) in the second half.
The Falcons shot only 27.7 percent from the field (13-for-47) and were outscored 39-17 in the second half.
Joe Jakubowski scored 17 points and was the only player in double figures for the Falcons (7-6), who had a two-game winning streak snapped.
- NCAA BB
BOWLING GREEN 45
AKRON 71 FINAL
Jan 9 9:02 PM
- NCAA BB
BOWLING GREEN 28
AKRON 32 HALFTIME
Jan 9 8:01 PM
- Bowling Green fires men's hoops coach for conduct breach Apr 2
- Jans named head coach at Bowling Green Mar 24
- Reports: Bowling Green to hire Wichita State's Jans Mar 23
- Bowling Green fires Orr Mar 11
- Niang paces Cyclones over Zips Dec 23
- Iowa State and Akron meet in Diamond Head Classic Dec 23
- Balanced Badgers hammer Bowling Green Nov 22
- 12th-ranked Badgers set sights on Falcons Nov 21
- Daniels, Reddic lead Rams in rout of Zips Mar 22
- Akron takes on VCU in second round of NCAA Tournament Mar 20
- Akron routs Ohio for MAC title Mar 17
- Ohio battles Akron for MAC Tournament title Mar 16