Smith leads Longwood to 82-81 win over BakersfieldJan 10, 2010 - 6:47 AM BAKERSFIELD, Calif.(AP) -- Dana Smith had 24 points and 10 rebounds Saturday to lead Longwood University to an 82-81 victory over Cal State Bakersfield.
Kevin Swecker and Martiz Washington added 13 points each for the Lancers (4-13), who snapped a 12-game road losing streak.
Santwon Latunde led Bakersfield (2-13) with a career-high 29 points and 12 rebounds, and Trent Blakley added 21 points.
Bakersfield trailed by as many as 13 in the first half and was down 52-45 at the break. The Roadrunners rallied to tie it at 64 on a basket by Stephon Carter with 11:07 remaining. After the two teams traded leads, Longwood went on top for good, 75-74, on a jumper by Smith.
A missed one-and-one free-throw opportunity by Swecker with 2.4 seconds left gave Bakersfield one last shot, but Carter's 3-point heave from halfcourt bounced off the backboard and the rim as time expired.
- No. 16 SDSU beats Bakersfield 51-27 Nov 21
- 16th-ranked Aztecs take on Roadrunners Nov 20
- Gillian resigns as Longwood men's hoops coach Mar 14
- 19th-ranked SDSU rolls past CS-Bakersfield Jan 3
- 19th-ranked Aztecs play host to Roadrunners Jan 2
- Porter, Georgetown rout Longwood Dec 10
- Georgetown plays host to Longwood Dec 10
- No. 14 Creighton soars past Longwood Nov 21
- Longwood faces long odds in clash with No. 14 Creighton Nov 20
- No. 17 UNLV downs Cal State-Bakersfield Jan 6
- No. 17 UNLV pays visit to CS-Bakersfield Jan 5
- No. 18 Gonzaga beats Bakersfield 78-59 Mar 2