Denver holds off Western Kentucky, 72-67Jan 10, 2010 - 10:08 PM DENVER(AP) -- Nate Rohnert scored 23 points and Rob Lewis added 15 as Denver beat Western Kentucky 72-67 on Sunday to extend its home winning streak to 11 games.
A.J. Slaughter scored 28 and Jeremy Evans had 15 points for Western Kentucky.
Rohnert scored 16 of the first 24 points for the Pioneers (12-5, 5-1 Sun Belt), who never trailed.
Denver led 29-22 at halftime and increased the lead to 48-35 on Andrew Hooper's 3-pointer with 12:10 left.
The Hilltoppers (9-5, 2-1) trailed 64-54 when they made a run to cut it to 66-65 with 2:11 remaining, the closest Western Kentucky had come since trailing 21-20 late in the first half.
Travis Hallam's three-point play with 43.5 seconds left made it 69-65 Denver, and after a Hilltopper basket, Chase Hallam's two free throws made it 71-67 and Brian Stafford stole the ball with 7.9 seconds left to seal the win.
- University of Denver hires Rodney Billups as coach Mar 14
- Denver fires coach Joe Scott after 9 seasons Mar 11
- South Dakota State edges Denver in Summit tourney 54-53 Mar 8
- Rosga, Denver beat Omaha, advance to Summit League semis Mar 7
- Northern Iowa tops Denver on 30 shots Dec 10
- Panthers hit road to take on Pioneers Dec 10
- Cobbs leads Cal over Denver Nov 26
- Golden Bears and Pioneers battle in Berkeley Nov 26
- Denver 56, North Texas 63 Mar 8
- North Texas tops Denver 63-56 in Sun Belt semis Mar 8
- Troy recovers to defeat Western Kentucky 54-48 Mar 8
- Denver overwhelms Middle Tennessee 73-58 Mar 8