Jackson State defeats Southern University 57-46Jan 12, 2010 - 4:56 AM BATON ROUGE, La.(AP) -- De'Suan Dixon scored 16 points and grabbed 15 rebounds and Jackson State beat Southern University 57-46 on Monday night.
Garrison Johnson added 16 points for the Tigers (5-10, 3-0 Southwestern Athletic Conference), who won for the fifth straight time after opening the season on a 10-game losing streak.
After trailing by eight points in the first half the Tigers tied the game on a layup by Hanson at 35-35 with 14:04 remaining in the game, then outscored the Jaguars 22-11 the rest of the way. Leading 49-46 with 6:22 to play, the Tigers went on an 8-0 run to seal the win.
The Tigers did not hit a field goal in the final four minutes, going 4-for-8 from the foul line to extend the lead.
Doug Scott lead the Jaguars (3-13, 1-3) with 12 points.
- Unlikely qualifier Holy Cross plays Southern in First Four Mar 15
- Samford tops VMI in OT, 92-85, advances in SoCon tourney Mar 4
- Texas Southern rallies late, wins SWAC title Mar 14
- Tigers, Jaguars meet in SWAC title clash Mar 14
- No. 22 Baylor survives scare against Southern Dec 22
- Iowa State takes care of Southern Dec 15
- Cyclones hope to blow past visiting Jaguars Dec 14
- Memphis outlasts Jackson State Dec 28
- Jackson State seeks upset of No. 17 Memphis Dec 28
- Baylor routs Southern Dec 22
- Southern hits road seeking upset of No. 12 Baylor Dec 22
- No. 1 Arizona beats Southern, moves to 12-0 Dec 20