Iona defeats Loyola 59-50Jan 12, 2010 - 2:42 AM BALTIMORE(AP) -- Rashard McGill scored six of his 12 points in a key second-half run to help Iona defeat Loyola 59-50 on Monday night.
Leading 39-37 with 3:18 to go, the Greyhounds (11-6, 3-3 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference) used strong defensive play to spark a 14-4 run, lasting almost 12 minutes.
Iona forced eight turnovers and held Loyola (8-8, 1-5) to just 1 of 10 shooting from the field during the spurt.
Rashon Dwight capped the run on two free throws for a 53-41 lead with 3:18 left to play.
Kyle Smith scored 12 points, Alejo Rodriguez had 11 and Dwight finished with 10 for the Gaels.
Iona forced 22 turnovers and held the Greyhounds to 38.1 percent shooting (16 of 42).
Brian Rudolph and Anthony Winbush scored 13 points each for Loyola, which outrebounded Iona 39-31.
The Greyhounds' Julius Brooks tallied a career-high four blocks.
- Morris and Iowa State race past Iona 94-81 Mar 17
- Iona spoiled Monmouth bench mob party Mar 16
- Iona's suspends Washington 2 games for slap Jan 17
- Sophomore Much receives NCAA waiver, can play right away Nov 15
- Iona gives hoops coach Cluess extension Mar 26
- Manhattan pulls away late, bests Iona for MAAC title Mar 9
- Manhattan takes on Iona in MAAC title tilt Mar 9
- Arkansas 6-0 after win over Iona Nov 30
- Gaels and Hogs mix it up to close holiday weekend Nov 30
- Manhattan edges Iona for MAAC title Mar 10
- MAAC title on line in clash between Jaspers and Gaels Mar 10
- Cluess given extension at Iona Mar 6