N.J. Tech 53, Texas-Pan American 66Jan 15, 2010 - 4:39 AM EDINBURG, Texas (AP) -- Aaron Urbanus and Matt Mierzycki scored 13 points apiece to lead Texas-Pan American to a 66-53 victory over NJIT on Thursday night in the Great West Conference debut for both schools.
Luis Valera added 11 points and a game-high eight rebounds for the Broncs (2-16, 1-0), who broke an 11-game losing streak.
Chris Flores scored 16 points and Isaiah Wilkerson 10 to lead the Highlanders (5-12, 0-1), who have lost four straight.
Both teams scored 19 baskets, including four 3-pointers. However, Texas-Pan American converted 24 of 31 free throws, while the Highlanders hit 11 of 21.
The Highlanders, who fell to 1-10 away from home, led 27-26 at halftime.
But the Broncs nudged ahead 36-35 with 12 minutes to go and gradually stretched it until the game-ending margin was their largest.
This is the inaugural basketball season for the Great West.
- NCAA BB
TX PAN AMERICAN 66 FINAL
Jan 14 11:15 PM
- NCAA BB
TX PAN AMERICAN 26 HALFTIME
Jan 14 9:59 PM
- Brian Kennedy taking over as head basketball coach at NJIT Apr 13
- Lynn's 27 points leads NJIT late surge past USF Nov 16
- Villanova uses second-half charge to down upset-minded NJIT Dec 24
- NJIT faces tall task in clash with No. 7 Villanova Dec 23
- NJIT stuns No. 17 Michigan Dec 6
- NJIT faces uphill climb in clash with No. 17 Michigan Dec 6
- Hipsher to take over at UT-Pan American Apr 4
- North Dakota claims second straight Great West Conference title Mar 10
- Great West crown on the line in Windy City Mar 10
- Texas-Pan American suspends five players Jan 21
- Ohio State dominates Texas-Pan American Dec 3
- Broncs face tall task in bout with Buckeyes Dec 3